Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lack of normal

When you move to a new city, state, or country, everything is new and different. It's exciting. Then routine begins to set in, you start to get over the initial shock, and you begin to seek a little normality (I'm not sure if that's the right word). It's then that you realize you don't know what normal is anymore.
.
No more familiar stores or brands, eating habits, schedules, styles, culture or manners... If I want to buy vitamins, do I go to the market or to the pharmacy? When is the bank open? We never learned laundry vocabulary in school, so which detergent should I buy? Which brands are cheaper and which are better? What is a good substitute for shortening? Is it normal for an egg yoke to be orange? When are stores and restaurants open? What is the normal teacher dress code? What behaviors are considered rude here?
.
Although it is something you are constantly aware of, locals don't necessarily realize that their normal isn't your normal. They may look at you funny or think you are a bit strange if you do things differently. Why are you going out to dinner at 7:30? Don't you know the restaurants don't open until 8:00? You may find yourself in awkward situations and not know why, because often they don't tell you (but if you have a friend they'll help you).
.
Not knowing what normal is can be very disorienting. As a friend Ellen described it, it's like going back to middle school and figuring everything out all over again. Little by little you start to figure it out, but there will always be something else to surprise you (though I'm sure after living somewhere for years and years you'd be fine). It makes life just a little more awkward, which can be comical or frustrating depending on your mood.
.
I'm looking forward to returning to my idea of normal in September, but after living here, it may take awhile for me to remember what that is.

1 comment:

  1. Lack of normal is a good description of what I felt for several days when we met you in Germany. It is surprising how anxious and confused you feel in a culture you aren't used to. Little things like how to get a table in a restaurant or pay your bill. Glad to know my lack of normal was normal. Hopefully it won't be too hard for you to adjust to life back in the US of A. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete