.
One example from our worksheet today for Forrest Gump:
.
Shrimp is a type of shellfish, but is also means:
a) pink
b) big
c) tiny
.
The first thing my students wanted to know was the meaning of shrimp, gambas. Then after re-reading the question, many of them got confused. Doesn't selfish mean egoísta? Yes. Confusion... Next I re-read the question. Ohhh, okay, while selfish does mean egoísta, this question is asking about the word shellfish... mariscos.
.
Questions like these often catch me off guard. When the first student asked me about selfish, I didn't think anything. But when I got the answer a couple more times, I was a little confused. It's funny, though, because then I see this confusion repeated over five more class periods.
.
Two other moments of confusion occurred during my Valentine's Day lesson. In one worksheet, my students had a list of English expressions using the word "heart" where they had to read a short story (I wrote it about my friends Terra and Zach) and then try to guess the meaning of the expressions that were used. One was "From the bottom of my heart". I heard some chuckling from the back of the classroom as students tried to figure out the meaning of the expression, roughly translated by them as desde el culo de mi corazón... or "from the ass of my heart." After finishing their worksheets, I also passed out conversation heart candies from home. They had fun reading the sayings on them and asking me what they meant. One they were confused about was "xoxo", hugs and kisses. I didn't think much about that one until later when I shared my last bag of conversation hearts with my roommates and Guillem kept all of the xoxo's for himself. In Catalan, xoxo means the same thing as "fanny" in British English. And that's all I have to say about that.
hahahahah i really want to hear the story about terra and zach! the same thing happens to me- i am surprised by the words that give them trouble, but there is usually a good reason for it.
ReplyDeletehehe soooo funny. english is such a weird language.
English is strange and I can totally see why it is so confusing to learn! I am grateful that I don't have to try and learn it. Thanks for sharing Kels, it's fun to hear these types of stories, hehe. :) Cassie
ReplyDeletehahaha! I had the same thing happen with my xoxo candy hearts and a window sticker that said XOXO. I took it down. Do they pronounce it "cho cho" ?
ReplyDeleteI also think that it's interesting to explain things like that to my students.
Yeah, it's pronounced "cho cho" here. There isn't a ch in Catalan, so they use x (like xocolata)
ReplyDeleteI also think it's funny that my students finally learned how to pronounce Bubba... no longer Boobba :)
I have a US friend who was in England and called across the school yard for her young son to "get his fanny over here."
ReplyDeleteI also had a Brit ask me one time why we called them "fanny packs" without understanding why she asked.